Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight
The Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight is dedicated to fostering the independence of people who are blind and visually impaired. They do amazing things in the community! Below is a summary of their story taken from their website. To learn more, go to: https://partnersforsight.org/
Throughout our history, we have been a vital source of support on local, regional and national levels for the blind and visually impaired community. Through our program of carefully directed charitable grants to qualifying organizations, Partners for Sight helps to enrich the lives of thousands of visually impaired individuals, and assists them with their goal to become integrated, productive, fully accepted and participating members of society.
Established in 1955, by DeWitt Wallace, the founder of Reader’s Digest Association, our primary mission in the early years was the publication and dissemination of high quality, low cost large print reading material for people who could no longer read standard sized print. We continue that publishing business today, with Reader’s Digest Select Editions Large Type, providing a diverse selection of current fiction in an easy-to-read large print format.
Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight Foundation now also has a significant grant program that works towards making a difference in the lives of blind and visually impaired individuals. We “partner” with local and national organizations that assist, support, and train blind and visually impaired people through:
- Extensive in-home and other training programs that increase self-sufficiency skills
- Educational initiatives that build knowledge, improve employment prospects and increase independence
- Technological advancements and communication innovations that ease the difficulties of personal living tasks, both simple and complex
- In-school vision testing and distribution of eyeglasses and vision aids
- Resources providing practical help on coping with vision loss
- A variety of additional services and activities that enable blind and visually impaired individuals to live freer, more productive and satisfying lives.
Recognizing an enormous need in the field, Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight Foundation also provides support for programs that work to improve access to low vision services for those in need. We support programs that train professionals to recognize vision loss and make referrals into the low vision rehabilitation system.
See our “Board and Staff” page for information on the list of individuals that make all this happen.